- One’s perception of the distribution of public opinion influences one’s willingness to express opinions.
- The spiral of silence demonstrates why people are unwilling to express their opinions (publicly) when they are not believed to be in the majority.
- People feel an increasing pressure to conceal their views and opinions when they believe they are in minority.
- Individuals perceptions of the opinions of others is a critical factor in determining their willingness to express those opinions.
Definition above taken from Chantrill.net
I believe that the Spiral of Silence is lifting somewhat and we as a whole will benefit as the world is becomes a smaller and smaller place. Lesley Fletcher
A voice is a human gift; it should be cherished and used, to utter fully human speech as possible. Powerlessness and silence go together.
- Spiral of Silence & Twitter (teesdiary.wordpress.com)
- Right listening and unsolicited opinions (bluegrassnotes.wordpress.com)